OPEN CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR PART-TIME LECTURFRS — PANAFRICAN UNIVERSITY TRANSLATION, INTERPRETING AND TRANSBORDER LANGUAGES AND INTERCULTURAL COMMUNICATION STUDIES (PAUTRAIN) PROGRAMMES
The Pan African University, Institute of Governance, Humanities and Social Sciences is hereby launching an open call for application for parttime lecturers for PAU Translation and Interpreting (PAUTRAIN) programmes for the 2020/2021 academic year.
The part-time lecturer will have the following duties and responsibilities:
a) Teach the relevant course subject as appropriate in the relevant working languages.
b) Prepare lectures, seminars, tutorials and practicals (including student field work and practicum) and develop methodological approaches and activities through provision of relevant tools and materials in print and digital form.
c) Work closely with the Programme Coordinator as well as with the Institute’s Director.
d) Provide trainees from the onset with a written course outline clearly showing course objectives, course content, gradation from one level of the course to the next (e.g. level I to II, III or IV), competences to develop per session (each session is one hour thirty minutes at master’s level and two hours at PhD level), as well as a detailed plan of the topics to be covered throughout the course sessions, a list of the required textbooks, readings (working material) for the course, a schedule of assignments and tests and a description of the evaluation procedures.
e) Actively participate in all Coordination and Institute Meetings as required. Such meetings are mandatory and part of academic duties.
D Supervise and evaluate student work (check day-to-day work and
Siège institutionnel : Université de Yaoundé II-SOA, CAMEROUN/ Université of Buea seminar tasks, assessment and examination of student work, participate in grading, etc.), and provide (upon request) appropriate evaluative feedback to any student.
g) Submit assessment marks in time to the Programme Coordinator and Institute Director’s Office.
Essential Duties & Job Functions:
• Cover the syllabus provided within the time frame and with due respect to the number of contact hours specified
• Prepare for lectures arid practical sessions in accordance with the academic policies and guidelines of the PAU, and teach the course on the days and times indicated by the Programme Coordinator;
• Give continuous assessments tests (CATs) to students
enrolled in the course as advised by the Programme Coordinator;
• Prepare and mark final and supplemental examinations/evaluations,
submitting marks no later than the deadline specified by the Programme Coordinator;
• Abide by and ensure students’ observance of the regulations of the Institute and of the Pan-African
Applicants to part-time teaching positions must:
For Master’s Programmes
1. Be holder of at least a master’s degree in the specified subject or its recognised
equivalent as the case may be.
2. Indicate the working languages in the right order of the combination (i.e. A, B and C) from among the following as applicable: Arabic, English, French,
Kiswahili, Portuguese and Spanish. Knowledge and professional experience
in any African community language should be indicated.
3. Specify the teaching subject from the list of courses advertised (see list of courses in the Annex).
4. Show evidence of at least five-year experience of effective professional practice in the relevant languages and area.
5. Show evidence of at least three years of teaching experience.
6. Show evidence of international experience.
7. Show interest and competence in pedagogy, scientific research and innovation.
8. Be proficient in the course language(s).
9. Demonstrate ability to work collaboratively with other colleagues.
10. Proficiency in both French and English (if different from instructional languages) will be an advantage.
11. A PhD in the relevant field and evidence of scientific research publications in
the area of interest will be an added advantage.
For PhD Programmes
1. Be a holder of a PhD in the relevant subject (see list of PAUTRAIN PhD courses attached).
2. Indicate the working languages in the right order of the combination (i.e. A, B and C) from among the following as applicable: Arabic, English, French, Kiswahili, Portuguese and Spanish. Knowledge and professional experience in any African community language should be indicated.
3. Specify the teaching subject from the list of courses advertised.
4. Have at least a five-year experience of effective professional practice in the relevant area.
5. Have at least three years of teaching experience.
6. Show interest in pedagogy, scientific research and innovation.
7. Be proficient in both French and English (if different from languages of course instruction/delivery).
8. Evidence of research and publications in the relevant area will be an advantage.
How to Apply
Applications for part-time teaching positions should be sent to The Director, Pan African
University Institute of Governance, Humanities and Social Sciences (PAUGHSS) at P.O. Box
18, University of Yaounde II-Soa, Cameroon. Email: email@example.com and copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates are required to submit the following documents (all in PDF format, if submitted online):
1. An application letter stating your motivation, with clear reference to the advertised position of expertise and indicating availability between January and December;
2. Copies of the Master's and/or Ph.D. degree certificate;
3. Copy of the birth certificate;
4. Evidence of professional practice experience;
5. Evidence of teaching experience;
6. An updated curriculum vitae;
7. A list of publications and academic/professional accolades (major publications of last
5 years, books, patents) in the subject;
8. A list of research projects, consultancies and other assignments;
9. A statement of contributions to diversity, selected article(s) or working papers (if available);
10. Contact details of three referees;
11. A passport-size photograph.
Deadline for submission of applications: 10 February 2021.
Annex- Thematic Discipline Areas of expertise:
Pan African University Master of Arts in Conference Interpreting (PMCI) Core Courses
1. Consecutive Interpreting (without & without note-taking)
2. Theory and History of Interpreting
3. Sight Translation
4. Advanced Spoken Communication Skills and Language Enhancement
5. Professional Advanced Interpreting Practice and Entrepreneurship
7. Interpreting Research Methods
8. Simultaneous Interpreting (with & without text)
9. Advanced Spoken Communication Skills and (A&B) Language Enhancement III
Pan African University Master of Arts in Conference Interpreting (PMCI)
Pan African University Master of Arts in Translation (PMAT)
1. Translation Research Methods
2. Computer-Assisted Translation
3. Specialised Translation
4. Advanced Written Communication Skills and Language Enhancement
5. Sight Translation
6. Professional Advanced Translation Practice and Entrepreneurship
7. Alternative Activities in Translation Practice
8. Editing and Revision
9. Community Translation and Interpreting
Pan African University Master of Arts in Transborder Languages and Intercultural Communication
1. Language and Technology
2. Intercultural Communication and Second/Foreign Language Pedagogy
3. Language, Society and Culture
4. Spoken Language and Proficiency Skills
5. Research Methods in Language and Intercultural Studies
6. Transborder Language
7. Intercultural Communication
8. Written Language Proficiency and Study Skills
9. Language and Culture in Translation and Interpretation
10. French Language Studies