Call for Part-Time Academic Staff to Teach in Masters and PhD Programmes: January to December 2023
Related projects call for proposals
Governance, Humanities and Social Sciences
University of Yaoundé
PhD Governance and Regional Integration
- Call for Part-Time Academic Staff to Teach in Masters and PhD Programmes: January to December 2023
- Governance, Humanities and Social Sciences
- PhD Governance and Regional Integration
Study at PAUGHSS
Applicants should hold a minimum of Upper Second Class Honours of a Bachelor of Science degree or its equivalent in the relevant discipline from a recognized university.
Applicants should hold an MSc degree in the relevant field from a recognized university.
The Master of Science (MSc) course extends over a period of twenty-four (24) months. The Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) program extends over a period of not more than thirty-six (36) months.
PAU scholarships are open to all member states and are awarded on a competitive basis. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The PAU Institute for Governance, Humanities and Social Sciences, PAUGHSS is hosted at the University of Yaoundé II, Cameroon, representing Central Africa. It is one of the five Institutes of the Pan-African University.
Established in 20012, the Institute presently comprises two Masters and Ph.D programmes in "Governance and Regional Development", quartered in the University of Yaoundé II-Soa and in "Translation and Conference Interpretation" based in the Advanced School of Translators and Interpreters (ASTI) of the University of Buea.
The "Governance and Regional Integration programme", seeks to give Africans the necessary intellectual and practical capabilities in the field of good governance, sustainable development and the promotion of Regional Development in Africa, while the "Translation and Conference Interpretation" programme enables young Africans to acquire the necessary skills in the field of Translation and Conference Interpretation as well as in the development of African and cross-border languages.
The University of Yaoundé II emerged from the former University of Yaoundé, founded in 1961, and specializes in the teaching and research of social sciences through two branches: Economics, Law and Political Sciences, and Communication and Information Technologies. The university counts with a student body of nearly 30,000, as well as 316 teachers and 480 administrative staff.
The Masters in Governance and Regional Integration seeks to train expertise for successful execution of the ideals of good governance in a well-integrated African Continent. The programme will provide and develop a more comprehensive perspective on Governanceand Regional Integrationthrough a deeper understanding of the theory, research and practice of the varied disciplines that link to and focus on the ideals of good governance and Regional Integration. This comprehensive perspective will allow students to more effectively manage and apply the ideals of good governance for a more integrated African Continent.
This Masters programme also aims to create specialist expertise that is intended for students looking for a better understanding of Governance and Regional Integration and how to work and deal with challenges for development in their present or future careers.
The programme is intended at:
- Providing a broad-based curriculum that gives a well-rounded grasp of the subjects of governance and regional integration.
Finding solutions to challenges that confront professionals, public servants, governments and regional communities, the private sector and civil society in the fields of governance and regional integration
- To provide an interdisciplinary approach to the study and practice of governance and regional integration.
- To equip learners with an understanding of the dynamics and developments of good governance and regional integration.
- To provide learners with an excellent understanding of African Culture and History
- To educate learners in Pan African values, critical for African Unity and development.
3. THE PAN AFRICAN UNIVERSITY MASTER OF ARTS IN TRANSBORDER LANGUAGES AND INTERCULTURAL COMMUNICATION (PTIC)
3.1 PROGRAMME DESCRIPTION
3.1.1 Programme Duration
Two years, i.e. 24 months, or a total of four semesters.
The Pan African University Master of Arts in Transborder Languages and Intercultural Communication is a two-year course which aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Train high-level and interculturally-aware professionals in the use of specific endogenous transborder languages of Africa for purposes of quality social communication across the continent;
- Promote mutual understanding, peaceful coexistence and regional integration in the face of Africa’s linguistic and cultural diversity;
- Promote research and innovation in specific transborder language study, technology and use within the African context and beyond.
At the end of the degree programmes, graduates shall be able to:
- Serve as high-level, innovative and enterprising professionals in the study and use of endogenous transborder languages of Africa as well as the development of requisite technology thereof;
- Enhance better intercultural communication among African people throughout the continent;
- Research and innovate in transborder language study, teaching, translation, interpreting, technology and use for communication throughout the African continent.
In order to be eligible for admission into the programme candidates must
- hold a recognised university degree or equivalent (preferably in the specified transborder language), with an excellent grade;
- have an excellent command of the transborder language of their choice over a wide range of topics and registers (transborder languages on offer each year shall be as indicated in the call for applications);
- have an in-depth knowledge of at least English and/or French; knowledge of any other African Union working languages shall be an advantage;
- have a good overall knowledge of international affairs and be well-informed of the economic, social and cultural backgrounds of countries in which their working languages are used.
- have a state-of-the-art multimedia computer tool with good optical character and voice recognition devices as well as reliable internet connection.
In addition, candidates shall be expected to have
- good writing and speaking skills;
- a high degree of motivation;
- a good interpersonal relationship skill;
- a readiness to accept feedback during training.
Admission into the programme is subject to success in written and oral aptitude tests designed to assess suitability for training. The tests shall include
- Translation (B-A and A-B);
- Use of Languages A, B (i.e. a language proficiency test);
- Knowledge of current-affairs.
Methods of Evaluation and Assessment
Tuition shall comprise course work, practicum and the submission and defence of a dissertation. Teaching shall be through lectures and workshops, tutorials and practicals. Evaluation shall be through continuous assessment, including class and take-away assignments, as well as term papers, end-of-semester examinations covering all subjects of each semester and submission and defence of a dissertation.
Examination panels shall include at least one external examiner who may be an end user.
In order to qualify for the award of the Pan African University Master of Arts in Transborder Languages and Intercultural Communication, candidates must have earned a minimum of 156 credits, including course work, practicum, end-of-semester examinations and dissertation. The candidate must complete the course in two (02) years. The degree certificate shall clearly state the transborder language for which it is awarded.
Graduates of the Pan African University Master of Arts in Transborder Languages and Intercultural Communication shall be professionals with requisite skills to work either as media communicators, teachers, translators and/or interpreters, terminologists and lexicographers, public relations officers, intercultural communication brokers, transcriptionists, proofreaders and editors, subtitlers, corpus developers; they may also serve as researchers or consultants in language, translation and/or interpreting, terminology and lexicography, etc..
La cérémonie de présentation de leurs idées d’innovation et d’entrepreneuriat s’est déroulée ce mardi 20 décembre au Djeuga Palace de Yaoundé-Cameroun.
The presentation ceremony of their innovation and entrepreneurship ideas took place this Tuesday, December 20 at the Djeuga Palace in Yaounde_Cameroon.