At the Malabo Summit held in June 2015, African Heads of State and Government adopted Decision EX.CL/Dec.829 to host the Rectorate of the Pan African University. Following this Decision, a high level panel was set up by Decision EX.CL/Dec.829 (XXV) to designate the country that will host the Pan African University Rectorate. Considering the report by this panel, the Executive Council selected Cameroon as host country and recommended the designation of Cameroon by the Ordinary session of the African Union Assembly who endorsed the selection in January 2016.
The Host Agreement for the hosting of the Rectorate of the Pan African University was signed on April 6th, 2018 between the Government of the Republic of Cameroon represented by the Minister of External Relations, H.E. Lejeune Mbella Mbella and the African Union Commission (AUC) represented by the Commissioner in charge of Human Resources, Science and Technology, H.E. Prof. Sarah Anyang Agbor, representing AUC Chairperson. This marked the effective commissioning of the Rectorate.
The Rectorate is responsible for the day-to-day management of the PAU and is headed by the Rector who is the Chief Executive Officer of the PAU. In the performance of their functions, the Rector is directly responsible to the PAU Council for the discharge of their duties and shall be supported by:
- A Vice-Rector for Academic and Students Affairs;
- A Vice-Rector for Research, Development and Cooperation; and
- Such other staff members as are required for the efficient running of the Rectorate.
The Chairperson of the Commission appoints the Rector and Vice Rectors upon recommendation of the PAU Council following a competitive recruitment process. The Rector appoints all other staff of the Rectorate With the approval of the PAU Council.
The Rector and Vice Rector shall be appointed for a term of five (5) years renewable once and shall be subject to annual performance evaluation by the PAU Council.
The Rector is responsible for implementing the general policy and multi-annual strategic development plan of the PAU. They are also responsible for the corporate and public image of the University, including its external relations. The Rector is specifically in charge of the following:
- Preparing and presenting the annual activity report of the PAU to the PAU Council;
- Ensuring the implementation of the decisions and directives of, the, PAU Council;
- Ensuring the required coordination between directors and institutes and Coordinators of Programme Departments and Centers;
- Ensuring the implementation and the periodic monitoring of the PAU's multi-annual strategic development plan as approved by the PAU Council
- Authorizing and managing the disbursement of budgetary allocation
- Managing the personnel of the PAU;
- Providing services necessary for the proper functioning of the PAU Council;
- Reporting regularly to the PAU Council on the functioning of the PAU Senate;
- Setting specific consultative committees related to the formulation or the implementation of the multi-annual strategic development plan of the PAU; and
- Performing all other functions as are necessary for the proper administration, smooth operation and development of the PAU.